White House Coronavirus Task Force to Hold First Public Meeting in Nearly Two Months as Cases Increase

The announcement comes when at least 30 states are seeing a resurgence in the Covid-19 cases, and California, Oklahoma and Texas are seeing new high peaks.

The briefing will not take place at the White House, but at the Department of Health and Human Services, according to a schedule released by the White House.

It has also resumed campaign rallies, despite warnings from health experts on its own team that the events could be super-spreading of the virus.

At their rally Saturday in Tulsa, Oklahoma, eight members of their advanced staff tested positive for the virus. Since then, the Secret Service has announced that officers who attended the rally will be quarantined for two weeks. Campaign employees who attended the rally are also quarantined.

CNN reported earlier this month that the task force, which once met daily and regularly updates the President on the virus, has been relegated to a meeting once or twice a week, and that members’ engagement with Trump It has decreased.

Even as cases increase, an administration official familiar with the discussions within the coronavirus task force told CNN that the panel has been kept quiet and silent. Key members, such as the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator, Dr. Deborah Birx, and the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Diseases, Dr. Robert Redfield, are now far away. less visible than they were during the first weeks of the pandemic.

As they testified Tuesday before the House Energy and Commerce Committee, members of the task force were asked when they last spoke to Trump about the administration’s pandemic response and responded on a weeks scale.

Fauci told committee members that he spoke to the president about two and a half weeks ago. When he left the courtroom, he told reporters that he regularly talks to Pence and that his messages are relayed to the President that way.

Admiral Brett Giroir, HHS undersecretary of health, also stated that he last spoke to Trump two and a half or three weeks ago.

Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn told Barragan that “some time” has passed since he last spoke to the president about the response to the pandemic. When asked if more than a month had passed, he said no.

CNN’s Jim Acosta, Kevin Liptak, Betsy Klein, Nick Valencia and Ali Main contributed to this report.