Myanmar junta orders internet blackout as pro-democracy protesters detained

Pro-democracy protesters have repeatedly filled the streets across the country for almost two months after overthrowing a military-elected government and establishing a ruling junta over allegations of electoral fraud.

Military opponents have responded with bloody bangs. At least 550 people have been killed by the junta, according to the aid group Political Prisoners (AAP).

The rights group Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Friday that Januta had forcibly disappeared hundreds of people, including politicians, election officials, journalists, activists and protesters, since the February 1 uprising.

At least 2,751 people, including journalists, protesters, activists, government officials, trade unionists, writers, students, civilians and children, were detained during the night raids, according to the AAP.

On Friday, most of Myanmar’s citizens woke up after telecom companies received a notification from the Ministry of Transport and Communications to shut down wireless broadband internet services.

Customers of the telecom company Oredo received text messages shutting down wireless services until prior notice at night. The order was issued from 1 April. Most customers in Myanmar connect to the Internet through wireless data services and the move will leave only people with a physical connection to access the web.

Mobile data has also been disabled for the 19th day, according to Internet Monitor Netblocks.

CNN has reached out to Myanmar’s military for comment On wireless internet shutdown.

U.N. Dozens of journalists have been detained by security forces in connection with the dispute over the flow of military information, according to reports, and civilians who have spoken to the media.

Anger in Myanmar after 'insulting' bloody weekend

The CNN team spoke with residents on Friday while visiting a market in Yangon’s Insin Township. CNN is in Myanmar with military permission and is being escorted by the military during a market visit.

Two women were then arrested, according to a report by local outlet The Irrawaddy. The report included a witness account in which a woman was seen talking to a CNN team. It is unclear from the account whether the woman was among those immediately arrested. His report added that an improvised anti-regime protest was displayed when the team was present.

Multiple unverified reports posted on social media said at least two people were taken away by security forces after talking to a CNN team.

CNN has reached out to Myanmar’s military for comment on the reported detentions.

In its most recent briefing, the APP said it could confirm the location of “only a small fraction” identified by recent detainees.

The co-chair of the United Nations group Friends of Friends for the Protection of Journalists issued a statement on Thursday, “Deeply concerned and strongly condemning the attacks on the right to opinion and expression in Myanmar and the situation of journalists and media workers in Myanmar. Arrests and detentions, as well as those of human rights defenders and other members of civil society. “