Published: August 27, 2020 at 9:14 pm ET
Epic Games Inc. launched the new season of their popular “Fortnite” game Thursday with a Marvel theme.
Epic Games Inc. launched Wolverine and Dr. Doom on Thursday in “Fortnite”, but fans of the popular video game that plays on Apple and Android devices may not know it.
In the first major consequence for consumers caught in the crossfire of the legal battle royal between “Fortnite” publisher Epic Games and tech giants Apple Inc.
and Alphabet Inc.s
Google, the new season “Nexus Wars” from “Fortnite” will not be available in any of their app stores. While devices with Google’s Android operating system can download the update directly from Epic, the new season featuring characters from Walt Disney Co.
Marvel Comics will not be available on Apple devices at all.
Earlier this month, Epic sued Apple and Google in federal court in Northern California, claiming that the iPhone maker and search engine rigus were engaging in “monopolistic” behavior with their app stores. “Fortnite” was launched from Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play Store, respectively, after Epic added an unauthorized payment system that put the commission of 30% of tech giants on in-app purchases.
Also read: Will video games be the Achilles heel for Apple and Google?
Fortnite’s 350 million registered players will not be able to access new versions of the game on any Apple product, but will be able to fight planet-destroying villain Galactus on consoles such as Microsoft Corp.
Xbox, Sony Corp.’s
PlayStation and Nintendo Co. Ltd.’s
Switch, like non-Apple personal computers. Apple users who already have the game will be able to continue playing the current version, but will not be able to receive any updates, and those interested in downloading “Fortnite” for the first time will be out of luck.
While smaller video game developers have been grappling with Apple and Google commissions for years, privately owned Epic – valued at more than $ 17 billion – has been the largest to adopt the two, which could end up costing legal fees. be like lost income. So far in almost the entire month of August, “Fortnite” has spent just $ 19.3 million on app releases through the App Store and Google Play combined, compared to $ 52.5 million in July and $ 58.3 million in June , according to market researcher Sensor Tower Inc.
However, it is not a total loss for Epic. The absence of “Fortnite” could push players to PCs and their own Android app, where Epic can collect 100% of the fees.
A California federal judge in late Monday said Apple could not block Epic from accessing its developer tools, including Unreal Engine, but it refused to force Apple to put “Fortnite” back in the App Store, suggesting that Epic’s solution taking payments from them would game to re-enter the App Store.
For more: Judge says Apple cannot prevent ‘Fortnite’ maker from using its developer tools
“If Epic takes the steps recommended by the judge, we would like to welcome ‘Fortnite’ back to iOS,” an Apple spokesman said in a statement from MarketWatch. “We look forward to our case in court in September.”
Epic did not immediately respond to a request for comment. In an update of its ongoing blog post about the battle with Apple, Epic said: “Apple is blocking ‘Fortnite’ updates and new installations on the App Store, and has said they will develop our ability to develop ‘Fortnite’ for Apple devices As a result, ‘Fortnite’s newly released Chapter 2 – Season 4 update (v14.00), will not appear on iOS and macOS on August 27. “
The next hearing in the case is scheduled for September 28 via Zoom