Widespread outbreaks of coronavirus have affected three different food manufacturing facilities in Los Angeles County, reports CBS LA. The businesses affected are: Golden State Foods Corp. in the City of Industry; S&S Foods at Azusa; and Mission Foods (maker of those Mission tortillas, among other things) in Commerce. Each location has more than three dozen cases of coronavirus, with S&S Foods totaling nearly 60 cases of COVID-19. None of the three businesses notified county public health officials, as required.
And in other news:
- The Michelin-starred downtown Japanese restaurant Hayato is bringing back its beloved bento boxes. The daytime option has been very difficult to score since Hayato first opened, but now the calendar has been erased and fans can get a reservation for a box starting at 10am on August 1.
- LA Taco has the details on Hangaburs, the new humorous-named smashburger pop-up in El Sereno.
Osteria Mozza is still feeding hospitality people out of work through the Lee Initiative, with funds from Maker’s Mark. Meals during the day can be picked up from noon to 2 pm, Monday through Saturday.
- Beverly Hills restaurant Nerano has switched to a pizzeria during the day. The cakes from Monday to Friday are available to eat in the restaurant’s spacious patio from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., along with wine and accompaniments, of course.
- The Playa del Rey bar and restaurant, El Tripel, has closed permanently. Chefs Brooke Williamson and Nick Roberts say, “We are standing right now where normal operations are impossible. We have reached the end of our lease, our landlord is selling the building and compiled with health and safety issues in our community dining room design, we are left with a state of uncertainty that outweighs the chances of new lease term negotiations . “
- Off the Menu and Uber Eats have teamed up in a new digital event called Wing Showdown, where celebrities from Shaquille O’Neal to Snoop Dogg team up with restaurants to show off their own wing recipes. Local and national restaurants will participate, with Uber Eats acting as the ordering platform for fans who want to try different restaurant options in their area. It all starts tomorrow and will last until August 2.