Updated: May 25, 2018:
JD Supra is a legal publishing service that connects experts and their content with broader audiences of professionals, journalists and associations.
Please note that if you subscribe to one of our Services, you can choose how we collect, use and share your information through our Privacy Center in the “My Account” panel (available if you are logged into your JD Supra account).
Collection of information
Registration information. When you register with JD Supra for our website and services, either as an author or as a subscriber, you will be asked to provide identifying information to create your JD Supra account (“Registration data“), as their:
- First name
- company name
- Company Industry
Other information: We also collect other information that you can voluntarily provide. This may include content that you provide for publication. We may also receive your communications with others through our website and services (such as contacting an author through our website) or communications directly with us (such as by email, comments, or other forms or social media). If you are a subscribed user, we will also collect your user preferences, such as the types of articles you would like to read.
Third party information (such as your employer or LinkedIn): We may also receive information about you from third party sources. For example, your employer may provide us with your information, such as in relation to an article submitted by your employer for publication. If you choose to use LinkedIn to subscribe to our website and services, we also collect information related to your LinkedIn account and profile.
How do we use this information?
We use the information and data we collect primarily to provide our website and services. More specifically, we may use your personal information to:
- Operate our website and services and post content;
- Distribute content to you in accordance with your preferences, as well as provide you with other notifications (for example, updates to our policies and terms);
- Measure readers and use of the website and services;
- Communicate with you regarding your questions and requests;
- Authenticate users and guarantee the security of our website and services;
- Conduct research and similar activities to improve our website and our services; and
- Comply with our legal and regulatory responsibilities and enforce our rights.
How is your information shared?
- Content and other public information (such as an author profile) is shared on our website and services, including through email summaries and social media feeds, and is accessible to the general public.
- If you choose to use our website and our services to communicate directly with a company or person, such communication may be shared accordingly.
- Readers’ information is provided to editorial law firms and content authors to give them an idea of their readers and help them improve their content.
- Your information may also be shared with parties that support our business, such as professional advisers, as well as web hosting providers, analytics providers, and other information technology providers.
- Any court, government authority, law enforcement agency or other third party where we believe the disclosure is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or to protect our rights, the rights of any third party, or the personal safety of individuals, or to detect, prevent, or address fraud, security, or security issues.
- To our affiliated entities and in connection with the sale, assignment or other transfer of our company or our business.
How we protect your information
JD Supra takes reasonable and appropriate precautions to ensure that user information is protected against loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We restrict access to user information to those who reasonably need access to perform their job duties, such as our third-party email service, customer service personnel, and technical personnel. You should be aware that no Internet transmission is 100% secure or error-free. When using login credentials (user names, passwords) on our website, remember that it is your responsibility to protect them. If you believe your login credentials have been compromised, please contact us at [email protected]
Information for children
Our website and our services are not directed at children under the age of 16 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16 through our website and / or services. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 16 has provided us with personal information, please contact us and we will strive to remove that information from our databases.
Links to other websites
Our website and our services may contain links to other websites. The operators of such websites may collect information about you, including through cookies or other technologies. If you are using our website or services and click a link to another site, you will leave our website and this Policy does not apply to your use and activity on those other sites. We recommend that you read the legal notices posted on those sites, including their privacy policies. We are not responsible for the data collection and usage practices of such other sites. This Policy applies only to information collected in connection with your use of our Website and Services and does not apply to any practices performed offline or in connection with any other website.
Information for EU and Swiss residents
JD Supra’s main business center is in the United States. By subscribing to our website, you expressly agree to have your information processed in the United States.
- Your rights
- Right of access / portability: You may request to review details about the information we have about you and how that information has been used and disclosed. Please note that we may request to verify your identification before complying with your request. You can also request that your personal information be provided to you in a commonly used electronic format so that you can share it with other organizations.
- Right to correct information: You can request that we make corrections to any information we have, if you believe that such correction is necessary.
- Right to restrict our processing or deletion of information: You also have the right in certain circumstances to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information or to delete your personal information. When you have given your consent for us to use your personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time.
You can make a request to exercise any of these rights by sending us an email to [email protected] or writing to us at:
JD Supra, LLC
10 Liberty Ship Way, Suite 300
Sausalito, California 94965
You can also manage your profile and subscriptions through our Privacy Center in the “My account” panel.
We will make every practical effort to respect your wishes. However, there may be times when we are unable to comply with your request, for example, if applicable law prohibits our compliance. Please note that JD Supra does not use “automatic decision making” or “profiling” as those terms are defined in the GDPR.
- Subsequent transfer to third parties: As noted in the “How We Share Your Data” section above, JD Supra may share your information with third parties. When JD Supra discloses your personal information to third parties, we ensure that such third parties have been certified under the EU-EE. USA o Swiss Privacy Shield Framework and will process all personal data received from EU / Swiss member states based on the applicable Privacy Shield Framework or that have been subject to strict contractual provisions in your contract with us to ensure an adequate level of protection of data for your information.
California privacy rights
Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, our California resident customers have the right to request certain information about our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
You can request this information by sending us an email to [email protected] or writing to us at:
JD Supra, LLC
10 Liberty Ship Way, Suite 300
Sausalito, California 94965
Some browsers have incorporated a Do Not Track (DNT) feature. These features, when enabled, send a signal that you prefer that the website you are visiting not collect and use data about your online browsing and search activities. As there is still no common understanding on how to interpret the DNT signal, we currently do not respond to DNT signals on our site.
Access / Correct / Update / Delete personal information
For non-EU / Swiss residents, if you want to know what personal information we have about you, you can send an email to [email protected] We will contact you (by mail or otherwise) to verify your identity and provide you with the information you request. We will respond within 30 days to your request for access to your personal information. In some cases, we may not be able to delete your personal information, in which case we will inform you if we cannot and why. If you want to correct or update your personal information, you can manage your profile and subscriptions through our Privacy Center in the “My account” panel. If you wish to delete your account or delete your information from our website and services, please send an email to [email protected]
Contacting JD Supra
As with many websites, the JD Supra website (located at www.jdsupra.com) (our “Website“) and our services (such as our email article summary) (our”Services“) uses a standard technology called a” cookie “and other similar technologies (such as pixels and web beacons), which are small data files that are transferred to your computer when you use our website and services. These technologies automatically identify your browser each time. that interacts with our website and services.
- Improve the user experience on our website and services;
- Store the authorization token that users receive when they log into private areas of our website. This token is specific to a user’s login session and requires a valid username and password to obtain it. It is necessary to access the user’s profile information, subscriptions and analysis;
- Track anonymous use of the site; and
- Allow connectivity with social media to allow content sharing.
There are different types of cookies and other technologies that use our website, in particular:
- “Session cookies“- These cookies only last as long as your online session and disappear from your computer or device when you close your browser (such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari).
- “Persistent cookies“- These cookies remain on your computer or device after your browser has been closed and last the time specified in the cookie. We use persistent cookies when we need to know who you are for more than one browsing session. For example, we use reminders your preferences for the next time you visit.
- “Web beacons / pixels“- Some of our web pages and emails may also contain small electronic images known as web beacons, clear GIFs, or single-pixel GIFs. These images are placed on a web page or email and generally work in conjunction with cookies to collect data Use these images to identify our users and user behavior, such as counting the number of users who have visited a web page or acted on one of our email summaries.
JD Supra Cookies. We place our own cookies on your computer to track certain information about you while using our website and our services. For example, we place a session cookie on your computer every time you visit our website. We use these cookies to allow you to log in to your subscriber account. In addition, through these cookies we can collect information about how you use the website, including what browser you may be using, your IP address and the URL you came from when you visit our website and the URL you visit next time (even if those URLs are not on our website). We also use email web beacons to control whether our emails are delivered and read. We also use these tools to help deliver reader analysis to our authors to give them an idea of their readers and to help them improve their content so that it is more useful to our users.
Analysis / performance cookies. JD Supra also uses the following analytical tools to help us analyze the performance of our website and services, as well as how visitors use our website and services:
- Hubspot – For more information about HubSpot cookies, visit legal.hubspot.com/privacy-policy.
- New Relic – For more information about New Relic cookies, visit www.newrelic.com/privacy.
- Google analytical – For more information on Google Analytics cookies, visit www.google.com/policies. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics on all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. This will allow you to download and install a web browser without Google Analytics cookies.
Facebook, Twitter and other social media cookies. Our content pages allow you to share content that appears on our website and services on your social media accounts through the “Like”, “Tweet” or similar buttons displayed on those pages. To comply with this Service, we incorporate the code provided by third-party social networks and that we do not control. These buttons know that you are logged in to your social network account, and therefore these social networks may also know that you are viewing the JD Supra website.
Control and elimination of cookies
The processes to control and eliminate cookies vary according to the browser you use. To know how to do it with a particular browser, you can use the “Help” function of your browser or, alternatively, you can visit http://www.aboutcookies.org that explains, step by step, how to control and eliminate cookies in the most browsers.
Updates to this policy
Contacting JD Supra