U.S. Capitol police officer killed, another injured Suspicious ramp car in police barrier outside building

Later Friday, Pitman identified Officer William “Billy” Evans, an 18-year-old Army veteran, and a member of his “First Responders Unit.”

“It is with deep sadness that I share the news of Willi Fisher William ‘Billy’ Evans being injured this afternoon, when he was attacked by a lone assailant at the North Barricade, then he was injured,” he said in a lengthy statement after telling reporters. The name of the officer will not be released until his family is notified.

During a press briefing, Pittsman said the suspect in the attack, who drove into a police barricade on Constitution Avenue and was later shot by officers, also died.

Federal and local law enforcement sources told CNN that the suspect was identified as Noah Green. A federal source told CNN he was 25 years old.

Pitman said an investigation into the attack is ongoing, but the immediate threat seems to have abated. The USCP lifted an hour-long lockdown of the Capitol on Friday afternoon after it was determined that the “external security threat” had been cleared by law enforcement.

But while the suspect was quickly neutralized, the fatal incident is no doubt reminiscent of the violent uprising that took place less than three months ago and the subsequent security concerns for many on Capitol Hill. Proceed to some recent additional protective measures.

Quick reply

Police and national security forces responded to the situation soon after the situation was declared on Friday, with initial reports of violence coming to light and prompt action to secure the capital.

At around 1 p.m., a man in a blue sedan rammed into a U.S. barricade at the northern barricade and struck two UACP officers, U.S. Pittol police said in a statement. “The department immediately locked the Capitol campus. The man got out of the vehicle with a knife and ran towards our officers. At least one officer pulled out his weapon and shot the suspect.”

The sequence of events was led by a senior congressional aide and U.S. This is similar to what Capital Police sources told CNN earlier Friday. At the time, sources said, the driver of the vehicle had pushed his car into a barricade on Constitution Avenue, then the driver pulled the knife out of the vehicle. Police responded by firing on the suspect and taking him into custody.

A law enforcement official told CNN that at least one officer was stabbed.

Pitman said Friday that the suspect, Green, did not know the USCP before Friday’s attack. Green’s social media review showed he had lost his job and suffered medical illnesses in the weeks before he posted, saying he believed the federal government was targeting him through “mind control.”

Two hours before he was shot dead, Leela posted several Instagram stories on her account, including links to other Instagram videos of Minister of the Nation of Islam Lewis Farrakhan speaking.

“The US government is the No. 1 enemy of black people!” Citation on reading a video. In another post on his Instagram account, Green wrote that he believed Farrarkha had saved him “from the United States, possibly by the US government agencies, the CIA and the FBI. After the horrific ordeals that befell me.”

Congratulations on the death of another officer

The death of Officer Evans has once again cast a dark cloud over Washington.

According to its data, only four USCP officers were killed in the line of duty earlier this year, but the department is now mourning the loss of one of its own for the second time in almost several months.

The weight of losing another officer on Friday was evident in Pitman’s voice as she briefed reporters on Evans’ death, although she was not identified until the next day, and again said in a statement issued by the department that “destruction” was caused by members. Were. News.

That sentiment was echoed by President Biden and legislators on both sides of the aisle who expressed sympathy for Evans’ family.

“Jill and I were heartbroken to learn of the violent attack on a security outpost on U.S. Capitol Grounds, in which William Evans, a U.S. Capitol police officer, was killed and a fellow officer fighting for his life was released.” Said Biden.

He added: “We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family of Officer Evans and to all those who have mourned his loss. We know what a difficult time this has been for Capitol, everyone working there, and those who protect him.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Evans a “martyr for our democracy,” adding that his death was “tragic and heroic.”

Senate Republican, minority leader Mitch McConnell said Evans’ name would go down in history for his selfless sacrifice. “

“Once again, the brave officers of the United States Capitol Police carried out a violent attack while carrying out their operations,” McConnell added.

Pelosi ordered that the U.S. The flag should be flown at half-staff in honor of Evans by spreading flags over the capital, his spokesman Drew Hammill said in a tweet on Friday, and Biden also ordered the White House flag to be lowered to half-staff.

‘A lot is determined about this attack’

Although details of Friday’s incident were scarce, police officials said it was not terrorism-related.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorcas said in a statement on Friday that there was “a lack of clarity” about the situation, adding that “there is still a long way to go.” Capitol Police and D.C. Bowser as the investigation is carried out.

Biden said Friday that they are “receiving an ongoing briefing from my Homeland Security Advisor, and will receive further updates as the investigation progresses.”

It remains to be seen how Friday’s attack will affect long-term security plans for Capitol, which has come under increasing scrutiny in recent weeks, as many legislators and employees hope to gain some sense of normalcy despite an ongoing congressional investigation into the failures. Around January 6 attack.

The barbed wire fence surrounding the Capitol complex has been down for months after pro-Trump rioters stormed the building and thousands of National Guard troops deployed in response to the uprising have returned home, though thousands remain in Washington and were responding to Friday’s attack.

The National Guard later confirmed Friday that he had been deployed to the Capitol.

The DC National Guard deployed an immediate response force (IRF) consisting of National Guard soldiers and airmen to the Capitol complex this afternoon to support the U.S. Capitol Police. Due to operational security, we discussed further details related to the IRF. Can’t, “the National Guard said in a tweet.

No National Guard members were injured in the incident at the Capitol, it added. Currently, about 2,300 National Guard members support local, state, and federal authorities in DC.

This story has been updated with additional details.

CNN’s Christine Wilson, Evan Perez and Josh Campbell contributed to the report.