Days after health officials warned of a growing outbreak of Cyclospora infections “potentially linked” to certain brands of garden salad mixes, more salads were recalled and illnesses confirmed.
The Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated alerts Friday that the number of reported cases increased to 206 with 23 hospitalizations. Agencies have advised consumers to avoid selected salads sold at Walmart, Hy-Vee, Aldi, and Jewel-Osco stores.
According to the FDA, all of the recalled salads were manufactured by a Fresh Express production facility in Streamwood.
Fresh Express issued a voluntary recall Saturday of dozens of private label and branded salad products produced at the facility that “contain iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, and / or carrot ingredients.”
The code is in the upper right corner of the front of the package and the recalled products were distributed to select retail stores June 6-26 in 31 states, an expansion of previously announced Midwest states.
“Our immediate thoughts and concerns are for those consumers who have become ill due to the outbreak,” Fresh Express said in a statement Saturday. “As a precaution, we have issued a voluntary recall of both branded and private label salad products that were produced at the Streamwood facility and contain those ingredients.”
Earlier on Saturday, Hy-Vee said it was recalling an additional 12 salads in its eight-state region due to the potential that they could be contaminated with Cyclospora.
In a press release announcing the recall of Iceberg Marketside Classic Salad at Walmart stores, Fresh Express said it “is working closely with the FDA in its ongoing investigation to identify a source of the Cyclospora outbreak.”
Cyclosporiasis is an intestinal disease caused by the microscopic parasite Cyclospora cayetanensis that can cause symptoms including diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps, bloating, increased gas, nausea and fatigue, according to the CDC.
Last week, the FDA and CDC advised consumers in six midwestern states not to eat certain salads purchased from those supermarkets. On Tuesday, health alerts were expanded to 12 states. An Iowa couple has filed a lawsuit against Fresh Express.
Fresh Express reminder
The Fresh Express recall on Saturday included about 80 different salads in various sizes. The products have use before the dates that go from June 25 to July 14.
Products were distributed to select stores in the following states: Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. “Consumers with a recalled salad should immediately discard it and not eat it. “Fresh Express said.
For questions or refunds, call the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center at 800-242-5472 Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 7 pm Eastern time and Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm Eastern time.
In a press release, the company shared the complete list of recalled products, their UPC codes, expiration dates and the states in which they were distributed. Product names include:
- Fresh and fresh America Express cabbage salad
- Fresh Express America’s Fresh 3 Color Deli Cole Slaw
- Fresh Express Chopped Kit Asian
- Fresh Express Chopped Bacon & Bleu Kit
- Fresh Chopped BBQ Ranch Express Kit
- Fresh Express Chopped Kit Chipotle Cheddar
- Fresh Express Chopped Pomegranate Kit
- Fresh Express Chopped Poppy Seed Kit
- Southwest Chopped Fresh Express Kit
- Kit Fresh Express Chopped Sunflower Crunch
- Fresh Express Chopped Kit Thai ‘N’ Cashew Nuts
- Fresh Express Fancy Greens
- Fresh Express Farmer’s Garden
- Fresh Express Gourmet Cafe Creative Classics Chopped Asian
- Fresh Express Gourmet Cafe Creative Classics Mediterranean
- Fresh Express Gourmet Cafe Creative Classics Turkey & Bacon Chef
- Fresh Express Green & Crisp / Green and Crispy
- Fresh Express Iceberg Garden / Cabbage Lettuce
- Fresh express italian
- Fresh Express Lettuce Trio / Lettuce Trio
- Fresh Express Premium Romaine / Romaine Lettuce Special
- Fresh Express Premium Asian Avocado Cabbage Salad Salad
- Fresh Express Premium Sriracha Smoked BBQ Cabbage Salad Salad
- Fresh Express SHREDS Iceberg
- Fresh Express SHREDS
- Fresh Express Veggie Lover’s
- Fresh Express Veggie Spring Mix
- American giant eagle (family size)
- Asian Style Chopped Giant Eagle Salad Kit
- Giant Eagle Chopped BBQ Ranch Salad Kit
- Giant Eagle Chopped Chipotle Cheddar Salad Kit
- Giant Eagle Chopped Mediterranean Salad Kit
- Giant Southwest Style Chopped Eagle Salad Kit
- Crunchy Salad Kit of Sunflower Chopped Giant Eagle
- Giant Eagle Life is getting cooler Coleslaw
- Giant Eagle Life’s is getting a fresher, fresher American blend
- Giant Eagle Life Fresh and Fresh Garden Salad Mix
- Giant Eagle Life is getting a fresh and fresh Italian blend
- Giant Eagle Life is getting fresher Fresh romaine lettuce garden salad mix
- Giant eagle life is getting cooler Fresh grated iceberg lettuce
- Giant Eagle Life is becoming more of a vegetable lover
- Giant Eagle Grated Lettuce
- Asian Pantry Organic Chopped Sesame Salad Kit
- Healthy Pantry Organic Sesame Asian Salad Kit
Walmart Marketside Salad Retreat
Fresh Express announced Thursday that it had recalled the 12 and 24-ounce Marketside Classic Iceberg Salad, which was sold at Walmart stores in Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
The recalled products have “expiration dates May 19-July 4” and were distributed to select stores June 1-21 in all seven states.
The Fresh Express list on Saturday added the following Marketside-branded items, which are sold only at Walmart stores:
- Marketside Baby Greens Salad
- Marketside Chopped Salad Asian Kit
- Marketside Avocado Ranch Chopped Salad Kit
- Marketside Cherry Almond Gorgonzola Chopped Salad Kit
- Marketside Kale Pecan Cranberry Chopped Salad Kit
- Marketside Southwest Chopped Salad Kit
- Crispy Bacon and Sunflower Marketside Salad Kit
- Marketside Crisp Greens
- Marketside Kale Salad
- Premium Marketside Romaine Lettuce Salad
- Marketside grated iceberg lettuce
- Marketside Tricolor Cabbage Salad
For questions or to get refunds, please call the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center toll-free at 800-242-5472 Monday through Friday from 8 am to 7 pm Eastern time.
Salad souvenir Aldi Little Salad Bar
Aldi, along with Fresh Express, recalled 12-ounce bags of Aldi Little Salad Bar Brand Garden Salads from stores in Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
The affected bags have a UPC code of 4099100082975 and have “Best if used before May 1 through June 29.”
Aldi said in a press release if “customers have the Little Salad Bar Garden Salad affected, they should immediately discard it.”
Saturday’s Fresh Express listing added the following Little Salad Bar brand items, sold only at Aldi:
- Little Salad Bar – Chopped Asian Salad Kit
- Little Salad Bar Chef Salad
- Little Salad Bar Classic coleslaw
- Little Salad Bar Southwestern Chopped Salad Kit
- Little Salad Bar – Chopped Sunflower Salad Kit
Jewel-Osco Signature Farms salad recall
Jewel-Osco, part of Albertsons, is recalling Signature Farms Garden Salad 12-ounce bags sold in Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa, and advised consumers to discard or return the bags.
The affected bags have “best if used before” dates from May 16 to July 4. The product has a UPC code of 21130 98135 and includes plant number S5417. For questions, consumers can call 1-877-723-3929.
The Fresh Express list on Saturday added the following recalled salads to the Signature Farms brand:
- Signature Farms Cabbage Salad 3 Color
- Lettuce Chunks Signature Farms
- Signature Farms Green & Crisp
- Signature Farms Premium Romaine
Hy-Vee expands recall to 13 varieties
Hy-Vee initially recalled 12-ounce bags of branded garden salad from its store, but expanded the recall to include a dozen other salad products in privately labeled bags from the eight-state region of the grocery store, which is Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
The recalled salads, which are also on the Fresh Express list, are:
- Hy-Vee Southwest Chopped Salad Kit, 13.4 oz., UPC 0-07450-24669
- Hy-Vee Grated Iceberg, 8 Ounce, UPC 0-07545-12053
- Hy-Vee Veggie Deluxe Salad, 12 oz., UPC 0-75450-08530
- Hy-Vee Greener Supreme Blend, 12 oz., UPC 0-75450-12046
- Hy-Vee American Blend Salad, 12 oz., UPC 0-75450-12047
- Hy-Vee Italian Mix Salad, 10 Ounces, UPC 0-75450-12048
- Hy-Vee Cabbage Salad Mix, 16 Ounce, UPC 0-75450-12051
- Hy-Vee Romaine Lettuce Salad, 12 oz., UPC 0-75450-12058
- Hy-Vee Chopped Asian Salad Kit, 13.7 Ounces, UPC 0-75450-24668
- Hy-Vee Sunflower Chopped Salad Kit, 13.2 Ounces, UPC 0-75450-24670
- Hy-Vee Chipotle Cheddar Chopped Kit, 11.4 oz., UPC 0-75450-24672
- Hy-Vee Garden Salad, 12 oz., UPC 0-75450-24674
- Hy-Vee Avocado Ranch Chopped Kit, 12.8 oz., UPC 0-75450-24715
All expiration dates are included, Hy-Vee said in a press release. For questions, contact Hy-Vee Customer Service representatives at 1-800-772-4098.
Contributing: Mike Snider
Read more in usatoday.com