Meat-eating bacteria cause a woman’s legs to rot after expanding into the air

In Hawaii, a hiker was injured by a tree – and infected by a rare carnivorous bacterium that caused his leg to rot, according to a report.

Medical Journal B.M.J. According to a case study published in Case Reports on Tuesday, the 72-year-old woman was walking in a lava field when she lost her balance and was struck by a branch near the ground.

She visited a local clinic six days later, received stitches and was sent home with a course of antibiotics, the researchers said.

But after she completed the medications, she became anxious about the scattering of liquid on her skin and on the wound, Newsweek reported.

She visited the Washington State Emergency Room, where she was diagnosed with a rare meat-eating bacterium called Leclerosia adecarboxylatea or L. aeruginosa. Known as adecarboxylatea, the researchers said.

The researchers said the pathogen found in aquatic environments is rare in patients with healthy immune systems, although it may be responsible for death.

The woman underwent surgery to amputate her leg infection and was then discharged with more antibiotics six days later, the researchers said.

In their findings, the researchers urged scientists to consider bacteria as a possible cause of infection, even in patients who do not have an immune system, the outlet said.