Manchester United will press ahead with its move to sign Jadon Sancho after confirming his place in next season’s Champions League, sources told ESPN.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team won 2-0 at Leicester on the last day to win third place and the Norwegian has already presented his case to club bosses to strengthen the team ahead of the Premier League campaigns and in Europe the next season.
Sancho remains United’s top summer target and Executive Vice President Ed Woodward and Chief Negotiator Matt Judge will now agree to agree on a fee with Borussia Dortmund.
The Bundesliga has so far remained rigid at its £ 118m valuation, but United is hoping to come up with a £ 80m compromise plus a number of achievable add-ons.
Sancho has two years left for the contract he signed in October 2018 and Dortmund is not under pressure to sell, but the 20-year-old’s representatives have informed him that he would like to pursue a new challenge and is eager to move into it. Old Trafford.
Liverpool and Real Madrid have shown tentative interest, but sources have told ESPN that they are in no condition to bid this summer.
Chelsea privately ruled out a move after signing Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner, while Bayern Munich have already strengthened their attack line with Leroy Sane.
The former Manchester City club has the right to match any offer accepted by Dortmund but does not have a buyback clause.
Leave United as the top candidates to sign Sancho if they can agree on a fee. Solskjaer’s transfer budget will improve after qualifying for the Champions League and significant funds will be available despite the financial implications of the coronavirus pandemic.
Bayern Munich winger Kingsley Coman is on United’s list of alternatives if they cannot secure a deal for Sancho, sources told ESPN on Sunday.