Man dies in shooting in protest in Louisville for murder of Breonna Taylor | United States News

US authorities are investigating a fatal shooting Saturday night in a park in downtown Louisville, Kentucky, where protesters had gathered to protest the death of Breonna Taylor, a black woman who was shot at her home by the policeman.

The allegations of shooting at Jefferson Square Park were made around 9 p.m., Louisville metro police said, and officers from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department took action to save the life of a man who died at the scene. Another shooting victim across the street in the Hall of Justice was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The video posted on social media seemed to show a man opening fire in the park while people sought refuge. Later images showed at least one person bleeding profusely on the ground.

Police did not release information on arrests, possible suspects, and the identities and ages of the victims.

“I am deeply saddened by the violence that erupted in Jefferson Square Park tonight, where those who have voiced their concerns have gathered,” said Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer. “It is a tragedy that this area of ​​peaceful protest is now a crime scene.”

The park has been the center of protests in the city for weeks after the police and Taylor Floyd murders. Saturday night’s shooting was at least the second during nearly a month of protests in Louisville over Taylor’s death. Seven people were injured on May 28 when the gunfire erupted near the town hall, prompting a statement from Taylor’s mother asking people to demand justice “without hurting themselves.”

“Praying for our city,” tweeted Charles Booker, the Louisville state representative in Kentucky. The Democrat is running for his party’s nomination to challenge Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell in the fall.

Taylor, 26, was killed at her Louisville home in March by police who were following a no-touch order. Protesters have been asking that the officers involved in her death be charged. One of the officers was recently fired.

Kenneth Walker, Taylor’s boyfriend, was originally charged with attempted murder after shooting one of the officers. Walker has said he thought he was defending the house from an intruder.

The search warrant that allows police entry without announcing their presence was recently banned by the Louisville Metro Council.