Chelsea started very badly and the
medium Blues fully asleep could have been behind three after just five minutes. But after losing a handful of good opportunities and reducing his intensity, Leicester let Chelsea return to the game.
It was a much more even game after the drink break, with Christian Pulisic forcing a tremendous save from Kasper Schmeichel and Chelsea surviving a couple of pieces at the other end. Leicester’s speed over the top was always a constant danger at the counter, as Chelsea leaned in, but somehow it didn’t break.
Lampard made a triple change at halftime, and Chelsea improved remarkably. Abraham had the ball in the back of the net 15 minutes later, but was discarded for offside. Chelsea kept up the positive momentum and finally found the first match just before the second drink break, with two of the three substitutes combined.
Chelsea couldn’t increase the lead: at one point it wasted a FOUR-V-DOS counter, but we survived Leicester’s attempts to counter as well as his dangerous set pieces.
Let’s go to the semifinals and Wembley!
The draw will be later today. Manchester United and Arsenal are also in it, in addition to the winner of Newcastle vs. Manchester City, which starts shortly.
- Does anyone know of an available coach that we could hire?
- Lampard with the half rotation of the starting line-up, which really didn’t work, then strong movements at halftime, yes.
- Abraham, James, Gilmour, Zouma, Emerson, Caballero get their first reboot starts.
- Gilmour, James and Mount are cut in half by Kovacic, Azpilicueta and Barkley. RLC for Pulisic and Pedro for Willian completed the changes. Lampard uses all five changes for the first time.
- Barkley’s fourth goal this season, all in Cup games (3 in the FA Cup).
- Seventh attendance for Willian in all competitions. He now has 60 goals and 60 assists in his career at Chelsea.
- Three wins out of three since restart.
- Next: West Ham at home in the league on Wednesday