Since the last time the Warriors played in an NBA game on March 10, nearly all of the typical offseason time has passed. Throughout the stretch of five consecutive NBA Finals runs, Golden State inevitably “enjoyed” the shortest seasons in the league in that span.
With the Warriors not qualifying for the NBA expanded playoff tournament, that time between games is slated to last much, much longer. The next season may not start until January at the earliest, which, in theory, could put them at a competitive disadvantage. Rest is one thing. Rust is another.
With that in mind, Athletic’s Sam Amick reported Saturday that there is “significant support” from most teams not participating in Orlando for the possibility of a secondary campus where they can train, compete and potentially play games. televised.
“Those sources have been openly shared in the weekly call from the league general manager, the sources say, with the latest iteration on Thursday, including optimism that a solution and continued focus would be found in building an environment that is on par with the Walt Disney World campus when it comes to the extensive precautions taken, “Amick wrote.
Amick mentioned the Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks as reportedly among the “Delete Eight” teams that push the most for the secondary site, while the Minnesota Timberwolves have reportedly expressed interest in serving as hosts. . Amick also reported that Las Vegas and Houston were possible locations mentioned by league officials in Thursday’s call, citing sources.
The only team Amick specifically mentioned that he reportedly hesitates to participate in is the New York Knicks, as they have up to eight players pending free agents and could choose to stay out. However, Warriors coach Steve Kerr previously said Golden State wouldn’t be interested in participating in that kind of proposed setup, either.
“We are in a different space and people understand that,” Kerr said in a conference call with journalists on June 9. “We would be more interested in practice time.”
[RELATED:[RELATED:[RELACIONADO:[RELATED:The top five Warriors fans want to win the NBA 2020 title]
Regardless of what exactly the secondary site would entail, there appears to be a major hurdle for the league to overcome, outside of the two major “Delete Eight” franchises that are reportedly not interested. In that same call Thursday, NBPA chief executive Michele Roberts expressed strong reservations due to possible health problems.
“Honestly, while I appreciate (the concerns) that there will be a bit of a layoff, I think there are a few things these teams can do to get the guys who aren’t playing some benefit out of getting involved in Orlando.” Roberts said. “But unless we can replicate the protocol that has been established for Orlando in every way, I will suspect, I am being meek.”
“I think our teams are incredibly smart and creative and can find ways to get their boys involved, if not now, before the season starts,” he continued. “But I am very concerned and, frankly, aside from my concern, our players, our teams are very concerned about anything, in terms of play that does not have the same safety and health guarantees that we have provided to teams in Orlando
“So yes, never say never, but there is a standard. It is a standard that must be met, and if it is not, the next question, as far as I’m concerned.”
[RUNNIN’JUEGAPODCAST:[RUNNIN’PLAYSPODCAST:[RUNNIN’JUEGAPODCAST:[RUNNIN’PLAYSPODCAST: Listen to the last episode]