New York will no longer require nursing homes to take COVID-19 patients from hospitals
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo revealed the requirement that hospital patients test negative for coronavirus before they can be discharged from nursing homes. This effectively reversed a much-criticized state policy that required long-term care facilities to accept recovering patients who may still test positive for COVID-19.
Cuomo, a Democrat, announced the change Sunday, along with a requirement for all New York nursing homes and adult care facilities to screen staff members for COVID-19 twice a week and report positive cases to the state.
“We are simply not going to send a positive person to a nursing home after a visit to the hospital. Period,” he said during a press conference.
Read the full story here.
Fact check: Trump says everyone who ‘wants’ proof can get one
Trump said Monday during a press conference focused on coronavirus testing that Americans “should be able to get tested right now.”
But there is no evidence that the United States is testing everyone who wants it. Some counties may perform tests on demand, but many regions prioritize symptomatic individuals or require physician notes to be tested despite the prevalence of asymptomatic transmission. The CDC encourages states to prioritize hospitalized and high-risk patients over low-risk patients who remain in the community.
So far, the United States has conducted just 9 million tests since the pandemic erupted earlier this year, and that has come close to meeting the demand for tests. A third of people surveyed by a Business Insider survey conducted in late April said they thought they had had the disease; only 5 percent of those people were able to get tested.
Admiral Brett Giroir, the Health and Human Services official who oversees the testing efforts, said states “aspire” to conduct more than 12 million tests in the next four weeks. That figure represents approximately 3.6 percent of the population. Pressed by a journalist, Giroir replied that “anyone who needs proof” can get one, by calling specifically symptomatic people or those with confirmed exposure discovered through contact tracing, but the president again doubled his claim.
“If people want to be tested, they get tested,” Trump said. “But for the most part, they shouldn’t want to be tested.”
“Don’t ask me, ask China”: Trump ends abruptly when asked about China’s hostility
President Donald Trump abruptly ended a White House briefing on the coronavirus response when asked by a journalist about his hostility to China and the spread of COVID-19.
Louisiana to lift stay-at-home order to reopen Friday
Louisiana, one of the states hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic, will allow its stay-at-home order to expire on Friday and loosen other closing restrictions this weekend, Governor John Bel Edwards announced Monday.
The first phase of the state’s reopening on Friday will remove certain restrictions that currently affect churches, restaurants, lounges and gyms, authorities said.
Louisiana has struggled to contain COVID-19, the coronavirus-associated disease, which could have been inadvertently fueled by the annual New Orleans carnival celebration. For example, as of Monday afternoon there had been at least 2,242 virus-related deaths in Louisiana, a state with 4.6 million residents. Compare that to approximately 2,712 deaths in California, a state with nearly 40 million residents.
Edwards’ orders have been in effect since March 23.
Fact check: Trump falsely claims coronavirus numbers are “going down almost everywhere”
President Donald Trump falsely claimed Monday that the coronavirus is declining in the United States. Despite the data showing that the virus is on the rise in some states and the lack of evidence that leaves experts uncertain about infection rates elsewhere.
“Coronavirus numbers look MUCH better, declining almost everywhere. Great progress has been made! Trump tweeted on Monday morning. The claim corresponds to the president’s push to reopen the country to try to restart the economy amid historical unemployment figures, even as thousands of people die from the virus daily and researchers have increased the number of predicted deaths.
“Anyone who claims we are on a downward trajectory at the national level is out of touch with reality,” said Dr. Irwin Redlener, director of Columbia University’s National Disaster Preparedness Center and public health analyst for NBC News and MSNBC.
Redlener said the low test rates have prevented the US. USA Learn about the extent of virus retention in the US. USA “There is not a single state in the union that has enough evidence,” he told NBC News.
Read the full story here.
At least 26,646 deaths in long-term care facilities, 7,001 outbreak centers nationwide
There are now at least 7,001 long-term care facilities with COVID-19 outbreaks, and at least 26,646 long-term care resident deaths from the disease, according to data from state health departments compiled and compiled by NBC News.
Figures are based on death reports from 42 states and reports on affected facilities from 45 states, so both are numbered below. The federal government has not released its own count.
Deaths in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities have accounted for about a quarter of all COVID-19 deaths since the start of the US outbreak. USA However, in some states, the percentage of deaths that have occurred in nursing homes has exceeded 50 percent.
Total deaths were approximately 11,000 as of April 23 and more than 15,000 as of April 29, according to NBC News reports.
Which children get sick the most from COVID-19? The ‘medically complex’ study finds
As reports of growing coronavirus cases, first in China, then Italy, first came to the United States, there seemed to be a silver lining: the children seemed to be free of the disease.
And while adults have by far borne the brunt of the disease, it is increasingly clear that children are susceptible to the coronavirus and, in some cases, become ill enough to be hospitalized.
American Airlines passenger: ‘There is no social distance at all’ by plane
A flight from New York City to the nation’s capital appeared to be packed to the guts, but the airline insisted Monday that that was not the case.
A Twitter user told New York Governor Andrew Cuomo that “there was no social distance” on American Airlines Flight 4333 from LaGuardia Airport to Reagan National Airport.
But an AA spokesperson insisted that the image does not correctly show “25 unoccupied seats” on this regional E-175 and that “the plane was not at full capacity.” The airline said it promised to keep 50 percent of the middle seats empty, although this smaller ship only has seats in pairs.
This AA image emerged a day after a United Airlines traveler posted a selfie aboard their ship, appearing crowded, while traveling between Newark Liberty International Airport and San Francisco International Airport.