The Great American Beer Festival of 2020 was unlike any other since the epidemic was established in 1982, forcing the country’s largest beer to be canceled in vain. However, the event’s signature beer competition did not hold one of the most prestigious in the country.
Colorado put up an admirable performance, winning 26 medals, including eight golds. The state’s biggest winner was Golden’s Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., which won one gold for its featherweight pale ale, and Vladimir Brutin and Let’s Talk Ax Max Lager, which was an experimental India pale ale and an international style cream ale ket. Respectively.
“Featherweight was the first beer we had eight years ago,” said co-owner and general manager Jason Stangle. “I am proud of all our colleagues, my spouse and our boomers. It is something we are all very proud of. “
Related: 35 Colorado Breweries Receive Home Medals at the 2019 Great American Beer Fest
Denver Beer Co. was awarded two awards: one gold for Ambura’s Dream, an old wooden royal potter brewed at its Arvada location, and another wooden beer for Ambura’s Graham Cracker Porter.
Colorado also dominated the American-style sour category, where Golden’s New Terrain Brewing Company won the silver medal for a beer named Mirage and Fort Collins’ New Belgium Brewing Cuner won bronze for its sour IPA.
“Even though everything was going well in 2020, Colorado Breweries were still able to show and brew world-class beer,” said Shawn Adels, executive director of the Colorado Brewers Guild. “It’s amazing to see some people who have never won an award before taking the step – Sanitas, Seedstock, Living the Dream – which demonstrates our diversity in terms of size and ability to brew amazing beers.”
Over a three-week period, judges evaluated more than 800 breweries across the country, wearing facial hair and body spacing, but it was clear that epidemics played a role in which breweries participated. More than 1,700 beer producers entered this year’s competition, up from about 2,300 in 2019.
Last year the Colorado Breweries won 40 impressive medals from the competition.
Here are the other Colorado winners of Friday’s awards ceremony, listed by name by category, wine, city and beer.
- Fruit Wheat Beer – Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, Lilicoi Capolo
- Wood- and barrel-aged strong beer – Denver Beer Co., Arvada, Ambura’s dream
- American Amber Ledger – Vibby Brewing, Longmont, Foxbear Vienna
- German style Merzen – Irwin Brewing Co., Crescent Butt, Amber’s Laser-Amber Laser
- American-style Pel એ Elle – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, Featherweight Pale Ale
- Juicy or hazy pale ale – Blue Moon Brewing Co., Denver, Moon Hayes
- Irish style red ale – Mirror Image Brewing Co., Frederick, Bellfire Irish Red
- German style Altbeer – Red Leg Brewing Co., Colorado Springs, Howitzer Amber
- Field beer – Dry Dock Brewing C Co ..- North Dock, Ur Rora, Jawwine of Coconut Blues
- Chili Beer – Sarvesaria Colorado, Denver, Poblano Pills
- Hist Historical Beer – Seedstock Brewery, Denver, Seedstock Gratzer
- American-Belgo-style Ale – Ratio bears, Denver, Dear U.
- American style sour ale – New Terrain Brewing Co., Golden, Mirage
- Mixed-Culture Brett Beer – Sanitas Brewing Co., Boulder, ledge
- Wood- and barrel-aged beer – Denver Beer Co., Graham Cracker Porter of Ambura, Denver
- German-style pilesner – Prost Brewing Co., Denver, Prost Pills
- American-style strong pale alle – Kamaraj Brewing Co., Denver, Superpower IPA
- American Style Amber / Red Alley – Zuni Street Brewing Co., Denver, Justin’s Easy Going Amber
- Scottish-style Ale – Goat Patch Brewing Co., Colorado Springs, it takes the Tribe Red Alley
- Fruit Wheat Beer – Storm Peak Brewing Co., Steamboat springs, afternoon fun
- Herbs and spices beer – Dream Brewing Co., Littleton, Powder Run
- Experimental India Pele Ale – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, Vladimir Brutin
- American style sour ale – New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, our IPA
- American style cream alley – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, let’s talk about Max
- International Pale Ale – Our Mutual Friend Brewing Co., Denver, interior lighting
- Thick and small – Post Brewing Co., Lafayette, Dry St
See the full list of 2020 GABF winners.
Related: You only have to spend ડો 20 to “attend” GABF this year. Here’s how.
Subscribe to our food newsletter, Stuffed, to send Denver food and drink news directly to your inbox box.