Two employees of the Afghan human rights body were killed in a bomb attack in Kabul.
The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission said the workers died when a homemade bomb attached to their vehicle exploded.
Kabul police spokesman Ferdaws Faramurz confirmed that the incident occurred. No group has claimed responsibility for this.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan condemned the killings and called for an immediate investigation. “There can be no justification for attacks against human rights defenders,” she said on Twitter.
The attack came less than a week after two prosecutors and three other employees of the attorney general’s office were shot dead by gunmen outside Kabul.
On May 30, a journalist died when a minibus carrying employees of the private channel Khurshid TV was hit by a roadside bomb in the city. Responsibility for the attack was claimed by the Islamic State.
Violent incidents had fallen across much of the country after the Taliban agreed to a brief ceasefire to celebrate the Eid al-Fitr festival last month, but authorities say insurgents have escalated attacks in recent weeks.
Most Taliban attacks have targeted Afghan security forces, although police regularly report that civilians have been killed by roadside bombs.
On Saturday, the National Security Council said 21 civilians were killed and 30 wounded in attacks last week in 14 provinces.
The Taliban and the Afghan government are preparing to enter into long-delayed peace talks aimed at ending the country’s war.