Banana bread is the most sought-after recipe on the BBC Good Food website with brownies, muffins, and pancakes also featured in the Top 10 Best Cured Bakes
- Banana bread has become the most popular BBC wanted recipe
- Thirteen of the 20 most popular recipes were cakes, cookies, or desserts.
- The website experienced a further increase in traffic at 10 p.m. and users searched for recipes for pancakes, banana bread and muffins
- Here we show you how to help people affected by Covid-19
Banana bread has become the most popular recipe searched on the BBC, as home bakers make breads amid the coronavirus pandemic.
‘Bright Banana Bread’ tops a list of the website’s most-searched-for recipes between March 23, when Boris Johnson put the country under lock and key, and April 30.
Another 13 of the 20 most popular recipes were pies, cookies, or desserts, including brownies, pies, cookies, and cheesecakes.
The remaining six recipes in the top 20 included comfort foods like Yorkshire puddings, chili con carne, spaghetti carbonara, cheese buns, and easy bread.
All of the top 10 videos viewed on the website were related to bread or bread.
Banana bread has become the most popular recipe searched on the BBC, as home bakers make breads amid the coronavirus pandemic (left) with second brownies (right)
Yorkshire desserts, which came in third, were the only salty foods in the top eight.
Top 20 recipes at bbcgoodfood.com on lockdown
1. Bright Banana Bread Recipe
2. The best chocolate brownies
3. The best Yorkshire desserts
4. Classic buns with jam and cream
5. Easy pancake recipe
6. Classic Victoria Sandwich Recipe
7. Delicious recipe for golden syrup flapjacks
8. Lemon Drizzle Cake
9. Chilli with meat
10. Vintage Chocolate Chip Cookies
11. Easy white bread
12. The best spaghetti bolognese
13. Easy Chocolate Cake
14. Cupcake recipe
15. Cheesecake recipes
16. Cheesecake with strawberries in 4 easy steps
17. Ultimate spaghetti carbonara
18. classic cheese buns
19.The best apple crumble
20. hot cross buns
How to make BBC shiny banana bread
PREP: 15 MINS
COOK: 40 MINS
EASY CUT IN 8-10 SLICES
A cross between banana bread and drizzle cake, this easy banana bread recipe is a quick freeze-bake that is ideal for using overripe bananas.
- 140 g butter, softened, plus extra for the can
- 140 g powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 140 g yeast flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 very ripe bananas, crushed
- 50 g icing sugar
- handful of dried banana
- chips, for decoration
1. Heat oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas 4.
2. Butter a 2 lb can of bread and coat the bottom and sides with parchment for baking.
3. Beat 140 g of softened butter and 140 g of icing sugar until smooth and fluffy, then slowly add 2 large beaten eggs with a little 140 g of flour.
4. Add the remaining flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 2 mashed bananas.
5. Pour into the can and bake for about 30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Chill in the can for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
7. Mix 50 g of icing sugar with 2-3 teaspoons of water to make a liquid icing.
8. Sprinkle the icing on top of the cake and garnish with a handful of banana chips.
Classic scones (left) and easy pancakes (right) were also among the top five most-wanted recipes, ranking fourth and fifth respectively
A classic gift! Victoria Sponge was the sixth most requested recipe as the British sought to prepare the traditional gift while trapped inside
And there were over three million page views on bread related content on BBC Good Food in the first two weeks of closing.
The biggest trend for bread making was sourdough, with 115,000 visits to related pages on the website, 900 percent more than last year, according to BBC Good Food.
The latest BBC Good Food magazine is now available
The website saw a further spike at 10pm in users looking for flapjacks, banana bread, and muffins, suggesting a jump in the night bakers.
Overall, cake recipes were rated 215 percent higher, and easy-bake content increased 687 percent.
Lily Barclay, editor at bbcgoodfood.com, said: “ Baking is such a relaxing activity that it can help you focus and take the stress out of the day, so it’s no wonder we see activity on the website after 10 p.m. . M. as a coping mechanism.
‘The shake, knock and knead motion can be meditative and the results are very gratifying, so we are seeing an increase in people who want to learn new baking skills.
“At bbcgoodfood.com, we are working hard to support our audience, offering tips, tricks, and recipe adaptations as our goal is to bring people together and provide comfort, peace of mind, and guidance in any way we can.”
- To participate in the BBC Good Food baking challenge, visit bbcgoodfood.com