Next month’s 104th Indianapolis 500 will be limited to 25 percent of capacity instead of the 50 percent originally expected, and masks will be required for attendees.
That was Penske Entertainment Corp.’s announcement Tuesday of the IndyCar racing classic, which was postponed from May to August 23.
Last month, Indianapolis Motor Speedway said attendance would be limited to 50 percent due to the pandemic; A maximum crowd of 75,000 people is now more likely to be in the stands, suites, and in the inner field while IMS practices social distancing.
Tickets for the race will continue to be sold until Friday.
“In June, we announced that the race was underway and that attendance would be limited to no more than 50 percent of capacity,” Penske Entertainment Corp. President and CEO Mark Miles said in the press release. “We also made it clear that we intended to do things differently this year. By offering credits to fans who previously purchased tickets, encouraging those over 65 to stay home, limiting attendance to the indoor field, reducing tickets in our suites, and promising fans that their decision not to attend would not affect their seniority or the right to renew tickets for 2021, we now anticipate an attendance of approximately 25 percent of capacity.
“We will welcome fans again, and we have an aggressive plan in place, which has been developed through collaboration with national, state and local health experts.”
A press conference is scheduled for Wednesday and IMS officials will review the 100-page plan that provides protocols and guidelines on how the race will take place this year.